Newton is having its first bike rodeo where MA Safe Routes to Schools instructors will teach and review bike riding skills. Volunteers will also help teach fun stations including knowing signs and hand signals, how to care for your bike, and more.
Registration opens on April 15th and the program will fill quickly as space is limited. See more here:
This program is geared towards students in Kindergarten through 6th grade at Newton Schools that are comfortable riding a bike independently. Students will be divided into smaller groups to practice and learn different skills and will receive a certificate at the end of the program.
In order to participate:
- Each child needs to bring their own bike. Please make sure the bike fits the child and is in usable condition (chain is intact, brakes work, tires are not flat, etc).
- Each child needs to bring and wear a properly fitting helmet.
- Each child must have a parent or adult present for the duration of the program.
- Parents/adults will have an opportunity to meet with volunteers from Bike Newton and Newton Safe Routes to Schools to learn more about biking opportunities in Newton.
- Social distancing and face coverings are required throughout the event.
April 25th, with sessions at 10:00 am, 12:00 pm and 2:00 pm (May 2nd will be a makeup date in case of postponement due to bad weather).