This update is for the 2/10/2020 Newton School Committee meeting:
- School teams used the early release on Thursday, February 6th for Professional Development in the following areas:
- Elementary worked on Social Emotional Learning and Culturally Responsive Classrooms.
- Middle worked on departmental frameworks and content.
- Newton North worked on Race and Achievement.
- Newton South worked on Social Emotional Learning.
- On Wednesday, February 12th at 7 PM the NNHS Chinese Program and the Jingshan Exchange Program will co-host a fundraiser to benefit Jingshan School and to buy medical supplies for Wuhan University Hospital to help battle against the outbreak of Coronavirus. Newton North alum, comedian Jesse Appell, will perform a comedy show followed by a NNHS student performance. Purchase tickets and make donations here: http://bit.ly/2vSkeFL.
- Information Technology and Library Department Goals – Director of IT, Steven Rittendi, presented an update that included information on the 1:1 Chromebook Initiative, Data Analytics planning and Infrastructure.
- Mid-Year Superintendent Goals and Systemwide Goals Update – This update included a look at three specific areas of work:
- Administrative Council: working towards projects aligned with existing district goals.
- District Data Team: Using data to improve instruction.
- Middle School Content Teams: Teams within all 5 major content areas working on professional development and data-driven student learning and performance focused inquiry cycles.
- Fiscal/Operations – Chief Financial Officer, Liam Hurley, presented our second Fiscal and Operations Update of the school year. The district has spent 50% of the annual budget and our financial outlook was described as a “good news story” at this time.
- Facilities Report – Chief Financial Officer, Liam Hurley, reviewed several projects currently underway including:
- Cabot – Completed and will be coming off Facilities report.
- Lincoln-Eliot/NECP – School Building Project – Bidding to start in May and estimated to be completed by 9/2021.
- Horace Mann – Improvements including modular classrooms and a new playground.
- Phase 3 Solar Panel Updates.
- Oak Hill – construction of 3 additional permanent classrooms.
- Discussion: Policy Update FA (Facilities Goals) and Policy Update ADF (Wellness) – Added language that reflects our transportation and sustainability initiatives.