Mass Attorney General’s Office – MA oversight for public charities soliciting from the public
- Guide for board/ directors/ executive bodies at www.ago.state.ma.us/filelibrary/board.pdf.
- Main page of AG’s Public Charities website: www.ago.state.ma.us/sp.cfm?pageid=1214.
IRS – Tax Information for Charities & Other Non-Profits
- Tax Information for Charities & Other Non-Profits
- Compliance Guide for 501(c)(3) Public Charities
- Filing Requirements for Tax-Exempt Organizations
- Charitable Contributions—Substantiation and Disclosure Requirements
- Sign up for the IRS newsletter Exempt Organization Update
Mass Secretary of the Commonwealth (governs business entity formation and legal regulation)
Mass Department of Revenue – handles the state’s tax related compliance, including sales tax
- Register for MA Sales tax Exempt status via MA Dept of Revenue’s Webfile For Business website: https://wfb.dor.state.ma.us/webfile/Business/Public/WebForms/Login/Login.aspx
- MA Dept of Revenue Sales/Use Tax Forms: www.dor.state.ma.us/forms/formsIndex/taxformsSALE.htm#s1
Other not-for-profit references
- PTOtoday.com – is a company which provides all kinds of resources for PTO’s. Their archive page on Bylaws/Nonprofit has a number of useful articles.
- GuideStar is a non-profit organization whose mission is “to revolutionize philanthropy and nonprofit practice with information” on not-for-profits. See various useful links for non-profit administration on their site at www.guidestar.org