Newton girls 13-18 are invited to a LigerBots hands-on workshop. Find out what happens when YOU pick up a screwdriver! Join in the excitement of solving engineering problems along with other girls, in a low-pressure environment! Please wear closed toed shoes.
Registration and more info here: Register
Sponsored by the LigerBots (Newton North & South FIRST Robotics Team)
October 17th, 6:30-8:30 pm
Newton South High School Wood Shop, room 9271
* Ligerbots changed the event name as they recently learned about Girls Who Build, which offers creative, hands-on, and applied engineering curricula for girls and educators. While not affiliated, they encourage you to check out Girls Who Build workshops.
Greetings from the Newton SEPAC (Special Education Parent Advisory Council)!
Whether you are new to Newton, or have a returning student, we would like to introduce you to the Newton SEPAC!
The Newton SEPAC….
- Advises the School Committee on the education and safety of students with disabilities
- Hosts a “Basic Rights” presentation annually, to discuss the rights of students and their parents/guardians under state and federal special education laws (Wednesday, November 8th at the Education Center; presented by Ruth Diaz of the Federation for Children with Special Needs)
- Serves as a liaison between parents of students receiving special education services and Newton Public School administrators
- Meets monthly with Karen Shmukler, the Assistant Superintendent of Student Services
Coordinates the Annual SEPAC Awards Ceremony in June, so that parents can recognize exceptional Newton Public School Staff
- Hosts the Newton SEPAC Yahoo Group; an online discussion group which serves as a forum for parents and guardians to exchange information and share community resources
- Coordinates monthly presentations. For the 2017-2018 school year, we are working on:
Transition (from Pre-School to Elementary School, Elementary School to Middle School, and from Middle School to High School), Anxiety in School Children, Executive Functioning, Personal Safety
All meetings are posted on https://newtonpac.org, and are open to everyone. If you would like to become a member of the yahoo group, send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to seeing you soon!
The Newton SEPAC Board
Join the dynamic task force of trained volunteer CAP Prevention Specialists committed to
teaching children in the Newton Elementary Schools the skills that they would need to stand up for themselves if faced with verbal, physical or sexual assault.
Still accepting applications for the 2017-2018 school year. CORI and SORI screenings required. 19 Continuing Education Credits available for licensed MSW’s.
Multi-session training begins on October 29th, the application deadline is October 20th
For more information please visit http://familyaccess.org/family-support/child-
assault-prevention/ or email Gail Sommer at email@example.com.
Sodexo is looking for parent feedback about their food services. This survey is a great way for them to get feedback from us. Please note that there is both a parent survey and a student survey (middle and high school students only.)
The survey is open for the month of October. Survey results and a proposed plan of action to improve service will be shared in late fall/early winter
Parent survey link: Parent survey
Student (middle and high school) survey link: Survey
Do you wish to earn some extra $$$ by doing yard-work, leaf-raking, etc? It is within a short walk to NSHS. Homeowner will provide the tools. You will provide the labor. If interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.