The Newton Food Pantry is proud to be participating in Project Bread’s Virtual Walk for Hunger. Project Bread’s Walk for Hunger, founded in 1969, is the oldest and largest community fundraiser for hunger solutions in Massachusetts. The team will be participating in The Commonwealth, a fundraising share program that allows the Newton Food Pantry to retain 60% of the funds raised by their team, with the remaining 40% of funds raised applied to statewide hunger solutions. A real win-win!
Teens (ages 13+) and adults are welcome to join. The traditional Walk for Hunger has been a 20-mile group walk into Boston. Because of the virtual nature of this year’s event, team members have the opportunity get creative. Consider walking 20 miles over 20 days or replace the walk with family bike rides or hikes and try to hit the 20-mile mark over a few weekends this spring. No matter how you plan to “walk”, be sure to reach out to family, friends and neighbors so that they can support you in your fundraising effort. Some simple fundraising ideas: host a loose change drive on your block, break your Starbucks habit for a month and donate your saved funds, or have friends and relatives sponsor your bike ride/walk/hike miles. Every donation makes a real difference!
The money raised by “Walk” participants, like the Newton Food Pantry, will provide grants to hundreds of community-based programs that rely on support—food pantries, hot meal programs, summer meals for kids, farm and garden initiatives, health center programs and more.
Please visit the NFP’s Walk for Hunger team page to join the team, make a donation, or for more information about how the Newton Food Pantry supports our community.
For information, check out the flyer here.
As NPS prepares for a full in-person return to school for students at all levels, they are STRONGLY ENCOURAGING families to enroll their student (s) in the COVID-19 testing program. Testing is one of the best ways we have to quickly identify infection and reduce the possibility of in school transmission. Here are 3 reasons to enroll:
- It’s easy! Complete the opt-in in Aspen (here’s the link!) High school students then create an account at JCM (do it here!) for access to a QR code they use to check in their sample. Pre-K – 8th grade students will receive their QR code from school staff.
- It’s painless! This is NOT the “touch your brain” swab! This is a sample taken from the front of your nose with a Q-tip like swab. It’s super-fast and painless.
- It makes a difference! The more students who participate, the better data we have on infection rates in our community. This means we can quickly identify infection, reduce the risk of in school transmission, limit quarantines, and keep our schools, athletics and other important activities open for the rest of the year!.
Bonus reason: This testing program is FREE to all families! Please consider enrolling your student today. Thanks in advance for doing your part to keep our schools safer.
Come join parents, students, teachers, and community members to support our Asian American Pacific Islander (AAPI) community through an evening of learning and connection! You will learn about:
– the historical and systemic roots of violence and discrimination against AAPI communities
– how AAPI communities are suffering in terms of mental health and how to help
– ways to support our young people, family members and friends during this difficult time
With special guest Facilitators Michele Leong and Charlene Beh from NNHS and breakout rooms for participants to connect with each other in small groups later in the session.
RSVP here or through the attached flyer. Hope to see you there!
Sponsored by FORJ NSHS (Families Organizing for Racial Justice @ Newton South)
April 14th, 7:00 – 8:30 pm, with open discussion until 9:00 pm
Newton Community Pride, in partnership with the City of Newton, is pleased to announce the return of NewtonSERVES.
With a limited capacity and the health and safety of all staff and volunteers as top priority, this local premier service project is scheduled for May 2nd. Strict adherence to the rules and restrictions for the event will allow us to enjoy a day of community service while ensuring everyone remains compliant with COVID protocols.
Mark your calendars “Volunteer Registration” opens on April 9th.
May 2nd, 9:00 am – 4:00 pm Rain or Shine