Green Newton’s Schools Connections is a forum for parents, students, educators – with representatives from 10 schools – and the broader Newton community interested in promoting sustainability in the classrooms and beyond. Once a month, the group offers a setting for sharing experiences and ideas, as well as support in facing challenges in implementing green initiatives at their schools and in the Newton Public District.
Some of their initiatives include:
▪ Sharing of past and current efforts at individual schools
▪ Developing and sharing recycling signage for schools, in partnership with Newton Sustainable Materials Management department.
▪ Advocating for the hiring of a dedicated staff to plan and implement consistent recycling collection throughout the school district.
▪ Hosting discussions with stakeholders from the city government, committees, and elected officials.
▪ A survey about waste management in all of Newton public schools, in partnership with Newton Sustainable Materials Management department
▪ Evaluating the possibility of implementing a Food Recovery Program in Newton school cafeterias
▪ Supporting renewable energy in schools, including solar panels
For more information contact email@example.com or visit https://www.greennewton.org/initiative_category/schools/
April 11th, 3:45 – 5:00 pm
Druker Auditorium of the Newton Free Library, 330 Homer Street