Happy New Year!
This update is for the 1/14/2019 Newton School Committee meeting:
First, Did you know that the School Committee includes terrific student representatives from both high schools? Please check out the bio for our 2018 – 2019 student representatives.
- Starting in the Fall of 2019, the NPS IT department will be rolling out a Gmail platform to replace the current First Class System used by NPS staff.
- Oak Hill Middle School has started a Girls Who Code group. So far the group has had a huge turnout with over 50 young women joining mini-lessons on Friday afternoons.
- Mary Eich, Assistant Superintendent for Teaching and Learning, was joined by Jennifer Shore, Curriculum Coordinator for K-8 Mathematics, to present an Elementary Math Update. This included a deep history of math curriculum and a detailed look at the year-long decision making process that led to the adoption of the “Investigations 3” math program in our elementary schools. This historical review was accompanied by a presentation demonstrating how “Investigations 3” works, why it was chosen, and how NPS will be tracking its success.
- Members of the Equity Committee, including PTO Council Co-President Christine Dutt and School Committee Member Kathy Shields, presented a brief update on the activities of the Equity Committee. Originally the committee had a goal of presenting a final recommendation to the School Committee about the possibility of pooling some PTO funds by April of 2019. However, they have requested more time in order to thoroughly collect public feedback. We will receive an update in April.
- School Committee member Margaret Albright presented suggested revision to two policies: Public Comment and Naming Schools. Members of the School Committee suggested further editing.
- The School Committee voted unanimously to approve several field trips
- The School Committee voted unanimously to postpone a vote approving an MSBA Statement of Interest for the Boiler and Roofs at Memorial Spaulding and Underwood. The reason for the postponement was an unexpected increase in the expense for the Day and Bigelow Boiler replacements.
- The School Committee voted unanimously to approve the 11/14/18 and 11/28/18 minutes.
January 28 at 7:00 p.m.: Elementary Principal Update, Enrollment Planning and Class Size Report, Mid-Year Superintendent Assessment, Mid-Year SC Calendar Review, EDCO Update
We hope you found this summary useful. You can access all School Committee meeting documents via the NPS website (www.newton.k12.ma.us/schoolcommittee). Additionally, if you are interested in watching an SC meeting from home or a recorded meeting, you can obtain access via www.newtv.org.
As always, we are very happy to answer any questions or discuss any concerns you may have. Please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Newton School Committee