We hope that the school year has started off well for you.
This update is for the 09/17/2018 Newton School Committee meeting:
- Liam Hurley, Chief Financial & Administrative Officer, was joined by Julie Kirrane, Director of Business and Planning, and Sean Manion, Director of Finance to present the FY18 Final Fiscal and Operational Report. In summary, FY18 ended with a small surplus and a healthy carryover to help this year’s budget. Our first look at the FY19 Fiscal and Operational Report will take place in October.
- Liam Hurley and Julie Kirrane were joined by David Stickney, Director of Facilities, to present an update on our summer facilities work, as well as the FY19 Update to the Long-Range Plan and the Capital Improvement Plan. A notable takeaway was the incredible amount of work done over the summer. Over 250 projects were completed in 34 days, a testament to the Public Buildings and Facilities teams’ great efforts. Another key discussion point was the revised long-range facilities timeline. The time estimates for projects were extended based on recent experience, and project order has been updated based on conditions and enrollment pressures. The next major school projects will be Lincoln-Eliot and the NECP (150 Jackson St), Countryside, Ward, and Franklin. Discussion included ideas of smaller projects at Ward and Franklin that could help improve living conditions at these buildings while they await their major renovations.
- Stephen Marshall, Grants & Business Analyst, presented a list of grant awards and gifts. The School Committee votes unanimously to accept these donations.
- The School Committee unanimously voted to approve the Superintendent’s Assessment, the FY19 Systemwide Goals, Minutes for 9-4-2018, the FY19 School Committee Goals, and Anping Shen as our new MASC/MASS Conference Delegate.
- October 1st @7PM: High School Start Time Update, Full Day Kindergarten Discussion, Student Assignment Working Group Discussion, MASS/MASC Resolutions Discussion.
- Sunday, October 21st @8PM: Virtual Office Hours via Facebook Live. Join us to ask questions or give feedback!
We hope you found this summary useful. You can access all School Committee meeting documents via the NPS website (https://www.newton.k12.ma.us/
As always, we are very happy to answer any questions or discuss any concerns you may have. Please feel free to contact us via the email address below.
Have a wonderful week!
The Newton School Committee