Welcome back to school! We hope you had a great summer and the school year has started off well for you.
This update is for the 09/04/2018 Newton School Committee meeting:
- Superintendent Fleishman welcomed our 2018 – 2019 School Committee Student Representatives: Nayeth Lopez-Lopez, Maya Matthews, Serena Jampel, Cristian Gaines, Lucy Chae and Ross Halpern
- Superintendent Fleishman thanked our Custodial, Administrative and Transportation teams for a successful first day of school.
- Superintendent Fleishman honored the life of Tony Bibbo, longtime friend of NPS, who recently passed away.
- The School Committee unanimously voted to approve the contracts with the NPS Custodian’s Association and Newton Educational Secretaries Association.
- The NPS administrative team presented a second look at our 2018 – 2019 System-Wide goals. Notable additions are several curriculum changes including expansion of Investigations 3 Math curriculum in elementary, introduction of Illustrative Math curriculum in middle schools, and several updates to our science and social studies curriculum.
- Superintendent David Fleishman presented his 2018 – 2019 Superintendent Goals.
- The School Committee unanimously voted to approve the 2018 – 2019 School Committee Calendar and Agenda Items
- The School Committee unanimously voted to approve several policy additions and updates including JFABE (Military Childen), JFABF (Foster Care) and JRA (School Records)
- The School Committee unanimously voted to approve a new private school in Newton called Fusion Academy. It is important to note that this vote is required by law and is not an endorsement of the school.
- The School Committee unanimously voted to approve amended School Committee meeting minutes.
- September 17th @7PM: Capital Improvement Plan, Update, Vote: Superintendent’s Assessment, Vote: Systemwide Goals
- Sunday, September 16th @8PM: Virtual Office Hours via Facebook Live. Join us to ask questions or give feedback!
We hope you found this summary useful. You can access all School Committee meeting documents via the NPS website (https://www.newton.k12.ma.us/Page/2227). Additionally, if you are interested in watching an SC meeting from home or a recorded meeting, you can obtain access via www.newtv.org.
As always, we are very happy to answer any questions or discuss any concerns you may have. Please feel free to contact us via the email address below.
Have a wonderful week!
The Newton School Committee