We, your Newton School Committee, are writing to provide you with an update on the happenings within the School Committee.
This update is for the SC meeting which occurred on 03/19/2018:
This meeting was the first in several meetings aimed at reviewing the Superintendent’s Proposed 2018 – 2019 budget. A helpful tool to use when looking over the budget book is the Superintendent’s Budget Presentation. According to the presentation, the goals of the budget proposal are:
“To continue the forward momentum toward achieving key system goals and preserve the programs and supports we have built over the last several years, while addressing growing high school enrollment, our largest elementary and middle schools, and the increasing social and emotional needs of students.”
There are no major cuts, and the budget proposal supports some program improvements.
Please note, we will have a public hearing at 6:30pm on April 2nd and look forward to hearing your thoughts. You are also welcome to speak at public comment Monday, March 26th.
Here are some key takeaways from the March 19th meeting:
- Assistant Principal positions are being added to Franklin, Mason-Rice and Angier.
- Reduction of 2 elementary classrooms/teachers based on enrollment declines. Class sizes will not increase.
- Addition of 0.5 Full Time Employee (FTE) at Day (Student Services administrator) and 0.5 FTE at Oak Hill (teacher)
- Five full-time teachers are being added to our High Schools due to enrollment increases.
- An additional 0.5 FTE math coach and purchase of materials to support the rollout of the new elementary math curriculum, Investigations 3.0, to all grade levels.
- One-time funds are being used to purchase 1,000 Chromebooks to be added to the current high school supply.
Upcoming Budget Meetings:
March 22 @7:00 p.m.: Special School Committee Meeting, Budget Review: Student Services and Non-Instructional Areas
March 26 @7:00 p.m.: Regular School Committee Meeting, Straw Vote: FY19 School Budget
April 2 @6:30 p.m.: Public Hearing, Discussion: 2018-19 School Budget
April 9, @7:00 p.m.: Regular School Committee Meeting, Discussion and Vote: FY19 Budget
We hope you have found this summary useful. You can access all School Committee meeting documents via the NPS website (https://www.newton.k12.ma.us/domain/69). Additionally, if you are interested in watching an SC meeting from home or a recorded meeting, you can obtain access via www.newtv.org.
As always, we are eager to answer any questions or discuss any concerns you may have. Please feel free to contact us via the information below.
The Newton School Committee